BOBLERSOFT COMPUTER SERVICES
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BOBLERSOFT COMPUTER SERVICES

Unit B - N. Bacalso Avenue cor. B. Aranas Ext., Cebu City (in front of Salazar Institute of Technology)

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Does AMD have a brand perception problem?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
boblersoft
Administrator
Administrator
boblersoft

Male
Number of posts : 750
Registration date : 2007-05-23

Does AMD have a brand perception problem? Empty
PostSubject: Does AMD have a brand perception problem?   Does AMD have a brand perception problem? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 4:42 pm

While talking to one of the computer manufacturers recently, they shared that they have a hard time selling premium laptops when it’s powered by an AMD processor. The issue might have to deal with market perception of the brand.

Does AMD have a brand perception problem? Amd-logo

When the topic was raised, a lot of my friends in the media thought it was due to the decade-long perception that AMD processors heat up so fast. Actually, that’s not a problem any more (but the notion still persists up to now) but more like consumer tolerance on pricing.

The bottom line — it’s very hard to sell the Phenom brand at top tier prices, unlike the Core i5 or i7 series. And to think Intel’s new CPU brands are way younger (now we know that marketing is such a huge deal when it comes to brands). So people are willing to shell out tens of thousands of pesos for laptops with the Core i5 and Core i7 brand but would not do the same if it were an Athlon or a Phenom.

However, there’s a sweet spot — for laptops at under Php30k price tag, people have no problem with AMD processors. In fact, laptops with Athlon or Phenom processors sell like hotcakes as long as they’re cheap. There’s a segment in the market that are actually AMD fans (they say it’s the TipidPC market and it makes sense since those are people who really look for value for their money).

Here’s my question — when was the last time you bought a laptop with an AMD processor in it?

Posted by: YugaTech
Back to top Go down

Does AMD have a brand perception problem?
Page 1 of 1